Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The New Wiggle Shrimp Might As Well Just Wig Out

Last week, I was on a business trip, and fortunately, I had to only pick a recipe out of one of my vintage cookbooks for the challenge.  Yet, this was a challenge in itself since there were over 1,000 to choose from, and I had to make something that was within season, within budget, and within healthy guidelines.

New Wiggle Shrimp

I first thought, perhaps since the weather is still cold, I could pull off a "rabbit stew."  It sounded tasty, but upon reflection, all I can picture is Bugs Bunny in a cooking pot.

So, I decided to test my seafood skills instead.  I found what was called "New Wiggle Shrimp."  While preparing it, the boyfriend asked, "what was old wiggle shrimp, if this is or was considered new wiggle shrimp?"  His question was relevant as we did use a cookbook dated at 1925.  I was honestly afraid to think of the worst case of why it was called "new wiggle shrimp."  I thought that perhaps, it was because the individual wanting the shrimp couldn't just go to store like I could and had to freshly catch the shrimp from the sea.  It was an English cookbook after all so it could be possible.


Also, did Bubba Blue know of this creation of the "new wiggle shrimp?"  He never did mention it in his speech to Forrest Gump when naming off the different types of shrimp.  In any event, this dish was rated about a C+ in terms of taste in my book.  There wasn't much flavor towards it so it was overshadowed by the steamed kale and broccoli we had on the side.  I give it an A- in terms of ingredients and ease of recipe.  I didn't find the jargon of 1925 too difficult to follow on this recipe.

New Wiggle Shrimp [Modern Priscilla Cookbook: 1,000 Recipes and Cooking Methods (c)1925]
3 slices of bacon
1 c of shrimp
2 c canned tomatoes (we diced fresh tomatoes)
1/2 c milk
1 Tbs of flour
•Dice the bacon and cook in a frying pan until brown
•Add the shrimp and the tomatoes
•Cook all together a few minutes
•Heat in a separate pan the milk to which the flour has been added, stirring until thickened
•Stir into the other mixture and season to taste


In any event, "new wiggle shrimp," is one I think we won't immediately repeat unless we are finding ourselves at a loss as to what to do with shrimp.  Then again, we might just refer to Bubba Blue's ideas. As far as the food bank fund: $.80. The shrimp and milk added up more than I had hoped.

Later this week, we explore the culture of Belgium not including the beer or waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment