Friday, July 12, 2013

The Project Begins with a Small Ingredient: Shrimp

A small ingredient but mighty enough to fill even the biggest appetite? Protein wise, its shrimp! I'm not about to go into the various of forms of shrimp because I'm sure I'd bore everyone and no one quite does it as well as Bubba Blue (goo.gl/7W1SF).

At the beginning of the year, as said in my previous post, I was to challenge my cooking style as much possible, which meant trying new things since well, that's the challenge, right?

My first challenge was a shrimp scampi with risotto since the boyfriend requested: shrimp, light, and Italian.  To those who grow up with seafood, this would be way too easy, but for me, lack of seafood as a family food, gave me a disadvantage early on in this challenge.

shrimp scampi with risotto
Shrimp comes in various forms at the supermarket: veined, de-veined,  once frozen, pre-cooked, shell on, shell off... of course, part of this challenge for me is to de-vein the shrimp and cut the tails off without taking too much of the actual shrimp with it.  Also, the challenge of not over cooking the shrimp.

To say the least, the boyfriend was quite pleased with the results.  I found that cooking shrimp is a quick way to cut cooking times and a good form of protein.  At least this form of shrimp and not the way mom prefers it: sambal terasi (dried shrimp chilli sauce).




No comments:

Post a Comment