Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Smell of Vintage...

The smell of vintage hasn't always been of favorable smells.  Especially since the boyfriend doesn't like Brussels sprouts.  I try to introduce him to new tastes since he has claimed he has "bland taste buds" since he's from the Midwest.

I do have to admit, his pallet is kinda bland.  Then again, a pasta diet is cheap and he's also pretty frugal.  So my objective was to remain frugal (I'm not a huge spender on food or anything for that matter) and expand both our taste buds.

Unfortunately, Brussel sprouts to him are still not very tasty.  I decided to at least try Brussel sprouts in a different form to expand my pallet.  I like Brussel sprouts, yes, I said it, I like Brussel sprouts BUT not peas!!  How can I be my father's daughter?!

In any event, vintage Brussel sprouts was only my cup of tea.

Brussel sprouts au Gratin from The Household Searchlight Recipe Book (c) 1943
2 c Brussel sprouts
1 Tbs chopped parsley
1/2 c buttered crumbs
Brussels sprout au gratin (c) 1943
1/2 c grated Swiss or American cheese (I think if there wasn't cheese, the boyfriend wouldn't have even touched this dish)
Salt and Pepper
1/2 c medium white sauce

Wash sprouts thoroughly.  Cook in boiling salted water until tender.  Fill a well-oiled casserole with alternate layers of Brussels sprouts and white sauce.  Season to taste.  Sprinkle with cheese and crumbs.  Bake in a moderate oven (375 degrees F) about 20 minutes.  Garnish with parsley.  4 Servings.---Virginia Cooper, New Orleans, LA.

On another note, I googled for Virginia Cooper and found this http://goo.gl/ZNzsr9 .  I'm not sure if it is the same Virginia Cooper listed in this book, but if it was, I'll admit to her dish being tasty, even if it was just for me to enjoy on this challenge.

Next week, we'll explore the culinary dishes of Denmark.

No comments:

Post a Comment