Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Passover, the other tradition around Easter time

In the spirit of trying new things and exposing myself even further into other cultures, I figured, I try dabbling into the Judaic traditions since I was curious about Passover.  It was a tradition surrounded by food and family for a friend of mine, and Easter for the rest of us (at least for the boyfriend and I).

broccoli kugel 
The boyfriend gave me the ingredient broccoli, so I figured, broccoli is a pretty bland vegetable.  It looks like a tree, and tastes just as fibrous, not that I would know what a tree tastes like, but that's my guess.  Since I always push my former church members to the edge to try new things, why not push them to try something of the Jewish tradition.  My former church members are non-denominational (Baptist) conservative Indonesians that try to say that they are inclusive church by welcoming those of other cultures.  I only went to keep my mother happy but with the risk of my happiness and faith dwindling, I've stopped going as regularly.  In any event, I pushed my limit with trying to satisfy the curiosity of my exposure to other cultures, and upholding the occasional contribution to the church's potluck.

broccoli kugel with chipotle
Easter Sunday was probably not the best time to introduce a kugel, let alone leave it for someone to question what it was.  I didn't know that a good friend of mine, the resident chef, was catering the Easter meal, so I put my kugel back in the fridge and left a note on it saying, "side dish to a Passover meal."  I also didn't know how much disregard one of the church members had for my courteous plate. She threw the note out and served my dish with the BROWNIES!

When I asked her about it, she said, oh, broccoli?! I thought you were being weird with your cooking so assumed it was desert.  I looked at the dish one more time to say to myself, it looks like desert.  No such luck, the bits of broccoli with evidently was still peaking through, and it even smelt of cooked broccoli.  The smell of almost "rotten" socks?

Normally, yes, I'm a very forgiving person, but when I'm called weird for exposing others indirectly of a new culture or idea without given much of a choice, I'm taken a back.  In any event, the dish was barely touched and the boyfriend took back chipotle broccoli kugel for the week.

Lesson learned: chipotle broccoli kugel is a desert to a small group of Indonesians


No comments:

Post a Comment